Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Sooooo.....about songwriting.



    One of my most earliest passions in life is songwriting. Ever since my pre-teen years, I wrote lyrics to songs, alongside my poems. I always felt such a "release" by doing that because I would imagine instruments upon instruments carrying melodies together in my head, and thus I would write lyrics to those same melodies. There would be symphonies and orchestras playing my music,but sadly, their accompaniments were never written. I never have strongly pursued music, however, I still write lyrics.

    These songs pretty much have been about God because I believe humans are created to worship Him, but in spite of that, I still feel such a freedom that seems "selfish." Here's what I mean: when I hear music in my head, it can be easy at times to have lyrics come to mind. So I jot them down. Sometimes the lyrics come out of something that is inspirational, like a sermon or a quote that I read somewhere. My inspiration to write songs come from many facets of mediums. Also, they can just come from within. Like today for instance. I remembered that my church is about to host a recital for all who want to be involved in it. Whether you play an instrument, or sing or dance, you can perform in this recital. I was thinking about it and all the sudden, this inspiration from my gut came from within and inspired me to be excited to write.

    Have you ever felt like you had this great idea about something and you don't have all the details of what it's about or consist of, but you start writing anyway because you believe it's going to be great? That's how I felt......

                                                   ..........and I LOVE that feeling!!!

It's such a rush, isn't it? Sometimes, I feel like I can go  a million directions with the first initial idea I had, and then sometimes there's only one direction I can go, and that's okay!! As long as I am going somewhere, I'm satisfied with the piece. I do have to say though, it can be good to have a piece that is open-ended for interpretation. I'm not saying that for worship songs,but I am saying that for general literature. I just watched this movie that was based on a book that came out a few years ago. I won't say what it is about but I will say that the end of this movie left a lot of questions. I was hoping that the villain in it would go to jail or be killed but that did not happen. Turns out, same thing happens in the book. I read that the author received a lot of flak for leaving the story so open-ended. Initially, I thought the same but then I thought, "You know what?That is clever. Not every story needs an ending." I think it's good for at least one author out of the bunch go outside the box and leave this genuine feeling of anticipation within the reader or viewer. That shows the reader or viewer that they were engaged into the story.I can appreciate it when I'm engaged into a story and not know what happens at the end, if I remember that it's okay for the writer to think outside the box. Otherwise,I will kick and scream since I am such a critic when it comes to entertainment. To add, I personally think a story with no ending is better than a story with a very stupid ending(Ever heard of LOST?!?!!...still recovering from that).

    Back to songwriting. I love doing it and  love people who do it as well. I know some fantastic people who can sing and write that share the same passion that I do for music and writing and I get excited when I can work with them. I am hoping that with the songs I have written tonight, they'd want to do something with them for the recital because I cannot sing them. Uh uh, no way, but they can. They have beautiful voices and have a pure heart for music and God. Plus, we are good friends so that makes this all work easier. However it goes from here in terms of songwriting, I have fresh faith that people will hear and feel the words I have written with my hand, as well as the ones that have yet left my heart because I'm seeing doors opening for me to shine and for people to be blessed by the gifts God has given me.

                                                                     What gifts has He given you??

No comments:

Post a Comment